Sunday 17 November 2013

I'm Still Standing

Well, just about.

Thanks to all who have left comments in my absence - Barbara, I suspect that part of our energy savings with the stove top kettle is the fact that gas is still cheaper than electricity - but on the other hand, a stove top kettle still does not heat up as rapidly as plug-in electric kettle would (those are the energy guzzlers, the things that heat up really rapidly), so I would imagine that you'd still save money by switching.  Don't just take my word for it though, do a bit more research first..... Or try taking an electric metre reading before and after boiling a kettle, and then before and after boiling the same amount of water in a saucepan with a lid - the energy use of a stove top kettle will be similar to the latter.

As for the kettle itself - I just had to get a new one I'm afraid (after a couple of years, the lid on the old one fell apart - I held it together with superglue for a while, but a replacement was needed asap) - it's this one.

Right, now I'm done trying to sound like I know what I'm talking about, here's a bit of what I've been up to over the last week or so:


                                              Blankets on the sofa to help keep warm:

 
Stocking up on half-price pork in Lidl and a beer kit in Tesco (down to the last three bottles of the last batch):

 
 
Couponing - free stuff  (not something I'd have bought otherwise)

 
....and heavily discounted stuff:



Baking bread. The cheese and onion loaf was a hit - why does it always happen with the stuff I create to use up random imgredients that have been hanging around for yonks ?  In this case, dried onions - all gone now. 

 
Dealing with the last of the pumpkin flesh - cubed, roasted, frozen.

 
Marvelling at the garden mid-November - I've never seen it look so - well, floral - this late in the year. Not to mention the sunshine.  It does mean that windows need to be kept clean though..... Not usually an issue this time of year !




 
Taking random photos of the sky at different points in the day:


 

Watching this fella play Richard II
 
 
 
 
Making Christmas cards.







 
 
Laters, 'gators.....

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Allegra. Nice to see you back. I was just thinking today to try out an experiment like that. I'll sent DH down the cellar to take the meter readings with DS2 standing at the cellar door to let him know when to take them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely autumn post Allegra. Lucky you getting to see Richard II.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've been very busy, no wonder you took time out for sky gazing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We got the pork too - makes great stroganoff (Delia - pork, mushrooms and mustard)

    ReplyDelete